Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sometimes you have to see it

Occasionally, one comes across something that sounds so disheartening and so absurd that you really have to see it to believe it. I am referring to a brochure titled "Your Life, Your Choices". It was written in 1997 to give to veterans who visit VA hospitals, but was later suspended for some "questionable" ethics. Recently it has been reinstituted and to my understanding every physician in the VA is asked to refer this to veterans to help them plan.....something.

The main author, Dr. Robert Pearlman is a documented advocate of physician assisted suicide. I am going to copy some of the questions that are asked.

The title on page 21 of the document is "What makes your life worth living?"

Some example statements are:
-I can no longer walk but get around in a wheelchair.
-I can no longer get outside, I spend all day at home.
-I can no longer contribute to my family's well being.
-I need someone to help take care of me all the time.
-I can no longer control my bladder... my bowels.
-I can no longer think clearly, I am confused most of the time
-My situation causes severe emotional burden for my family (such as feeling worried or stressed all the time).
-I am a severe financial burden on my family.
-I can not seem to "shake the blues."

To each of these above mentioned statements there is an option to check one of these-- difficult but acceptable, worth living but just barely, or not worth living.

The page goes on says and I quote: "If you checked 'worth living but just barely' for more than one factor, would a combination of these factors make your life 'not worth living?' If so, which factors?

If you checked "not worth living" does this mean that you would rather die than be kept alive?"

Folks, this is absurd. I can think of no other way to describe it. To think that a depressed 20 some year old war vet could be handed this pamphlet by a physician after he has been wounded in combat;.....it just makes me sick.
For more info check out this opinion article in the WSJ
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204683204574358590107981718.html