Monday, November 23, 2009

Just Win, Baby!




As my wife can attest to, I spend a fair amount of time reading sports articles on the internet. Probably like many of you the name Brett Favre, prior to about 10 weeks ago, brought a frown to my brow. For the last several years, Favre has made a long, Jordanesque, drama queen, tearful, pathetic goodbye. I'm going to retire, no I'm not, yes I am, maybe, no I'm not (typing that sentence just wears me out!).

The way one "finishes" is such an important aspect of their legacy. Do you remember John Elway's goodbye. It couldn't have been better if it were a Disney movie. Here I was, a KC Chiefs fan through the 90s. Time and time again we saw Elway and his Broncos beat us when it mattered most. He was such an easy guy to despise with that cheesy grin. And then Elway lost so many Superbowls, you remember that? Crazy. But several years later they mounted a comeback. And with the feet of Terrell Davis also as a weapon, won two Superbowls in a row. Elway retired shortly after the second Superbowl victory. At the beginning of the following season he said goodbye publicly, once and for all time in regards to his football playing career. It was halftime during a Monday night game against Miami in Denver, John Elway's number was retired in the Broncos "Ring of Fame." While Tina Turner's "Simply the Best" was rocking the woofers of the stadium he stood at the 50 yard line and said a wonderful goodbye to his loyal fans. It was awesome, what a great moment. It was possible a tear came to my eye, I'm not sure it could have just been the onions from the nachos.

Now, back to Favre. He has at current time, led the Minnesota Vikings to an 8-1 record. If he was not winning it would be pathetic, he had a short stay at the Jets and now "Benedict Arnolded" the Packers and joined their archrivals. I read on the news, Wisconsin soldiers are told "Favre, Favre" by non English speaking Iraq detainees, again pathetic.
But you know what, he is winning. Nothing cures sore muscles and sore memories like a win. And that makes it all better. Of course, the season is not over so it still could get ugly, but for now............................. "Just Win, Favre!" I like it, and you may too.