Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Grinding Corn

Getting back to "the basics" is such a great and soul invigorating thing to do. I think that is why I like camping and backpacking so much. You just have what you need to survive or find extremely useful, along with one or two luxury items that really aid in the enjoyment of life.

This past week my Dad picked some corn from a neighbor's field. After roasting it, to different levels of darkness, we all (three little boys included) knocked the kernels off the cob together into a big stainless steel bowl. Then we ground the corn in a wheat grinder. The smell of freshly ground, freshly roasted field corn is something I had never experienced before, but it was outstanding. One of those deals where your mouth is watering instantly.

This week we made two different types of cornbread. One was cornbread with blueberries that my wife and I picked and froze earlier this year. The second double batch I prepared and baked was Mexican cornbread. This tasty bread had sweet corn, jalepenos, and cheddar cheese. Oh Baby! I also add 1/2 cup of unsweetened whole milk yogurt to each batch as this keeps the cornbread exceptionally moist. MMM MMM. Yes, there is true pleasure in preparing meals that are off the land and prepared in your kitchen.
"Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread" Proverbs 30:8 Amen.